SSE Conference & Annual General Meeting Promoting Community Cohesion
Somaliland Societies in Europe (SSE)
SSE Conference & Annual General Meeting
Promoting Community Cohesion, Active Citizenship
& Preventing Extremism
20th – 22nd March 2009
It gives us a great pleasure to invite you to a unique dual Conference and Annual General Meeting to be held at:
Wiks Slott, Uppsala, Sweden between 20th and 22nd March 2009.
Somaliland Societies in Europe(SSE) Annual General Meeting. In
cooperation with our host organisation Somaliland National Association
in Sweden we are planning to hold a Conference to discuss the current
political developments in Somaliland and the role of the Diaspora
organisations. Concurrently, we are planning the convene SSE’s Annual
We would be grateful if you could pencil the date into your diaries and
look forward to seeing you at the event. The agenda and other
information about the event will follow shortly.
Objectives of the event are:
1. To raise the profile of Somaliland Communities in Europe.
2. To raise the profile of Somaliland identity and the distinction between Somaliland & Somalia.
3. To discuss Somaliland achievements to date and the challenges ahead.
4. To support and promote links and partnership between Somaliland communities and organisations in the EU host countries.
5. To review the role Somaliland Diaspora plays and could play in the development of Somaliland and in the EU host communities.
6. To present SSE’s performance over the past year, review current activities and structure of the organisation and finally
7. To elect new committee members.
The first and second day of the conference will provide a platform for
exchange of relevant experience in selected areas including:
– Somaliland organisations in EU countries and how their partnership
with host countries is working regarding community cohesion, gender and
other interrelated issues. The conference programme will focus on
examples of good practice in integration and community-cohesion,
hearing from the experiences of different Somaliland communities in EU
countries e.g. UK, Scandinavian countries, Holland, Germany, Italy,
Belgium, Norway etc.
– Discuss Somaliland in perspective and upcoming presidential election
and the Process of Democracy and Good Government and Challenges Ahead
– Discuss SSE organisations’ capacities, activities, networking and
their potential contribution to Somaliland Diaspora in Europe as well
– Discuss and identify ways to improve joined- up and partnership
working of the Somaliland organisations in Europe and enhancing their
– Discuss ways in which Somaliland organisations play an active role to help establish strong Somaliland community in Europe.
– Discuss how best Somaliland organisations can build a bridge between these people and their country of origin (Somaliland).
– Making robust and tangible recommendations for the future to tackle
problems of Somaliland organisations in Europe and also develop
guidelines for the near future to promote partnership between
Somaliland organisations in Europe and their counterparts in Somaliland.
The meeting will seek to examine some of the issues concerned our
co-operation and networking and suggest ways that our organizations and
SSE itself can support to take these issues forward.
During the conference there will be other activities including book
fair and there will also be additional activities at the book fair and
it will be good opportunity to meet the Authors and also meet with
other new people.
We anticipate an exciting and productive conference:
For further information and booking please contact:
1. Zakaria Waes Sweden email@example.com
2. Fathia Sh. Muuse Norway firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Mohamed Bashe UK email@example.com. Yassin 4. Yassin Abdourahman Frans firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Mohamed Amin Denmark email@example.com
6. Jama Muse Jama Italy firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Ismail Awil Holland email@example.com
8. Eid Ahmed Wales (UK) firstname.lastname@example.org 9.Hasan M. 9. Hassan M. Nur Finland email@example.com
10. Mohamed Hussein (Jacket) Belgium firstname.lastname@example.org
11. Aden Mohamed Germany email@example.com
12.Hussein Abyan Sweden firstname.lastname@example.org